This is a hearty and warming vegan sausage and bean stew that’s suitable for the whole family. We made it in the Healthy Living Kitchen on Bonfire Night and served it with potato wedges and mixed greens (broccoli, cabbage, green beans and leeks).
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried herbs eg oregano or mixed herbs
1 tin of tomatoes
1 tin beans, drained and rinsed
1 pack of 6 vegan sausages
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven or grill and cook the sausages according to the packet instructions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add your chopped onion and carrot, stir well, reduce the heat to low and cover your pan with a lid.
- Fry, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes until the carrots and onions are soft.
Add the chopped garlic and stir. Fry for one minute then add a teaspoon of smoked paprika and a teaspoon of dried herbs.
- Stir again then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a tin of beans. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer.
- When the sausages are cooked removed from the oven and cut into slices. Add to the stew.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with potato wedges, baked potatoes and your favourite vegetables or salad.