Making a pitta pizza is a quick, healthy and easy lunch.
Why not try making it with your child?
Spreading, sprinkling, chopping and decorating are all great tasks that even small children can help with.
Serves 1 child
1 wholemeal pitta bread
A few spoonfuls passata, tomato or hidden vegetable sauce
Small handful grated cheddar or mozzarella, use dairy free if needed
Small handful sweetcorn
Strips of red, yellow or orange pepper
Small handful black or green olives, sliced
1 mushroom, sliced
Or use your favourite veggies
1/2 tsp dried oregano or mixed herbs
- Adults – preheat your grill (you can also use the oven if you don’t have a grill). Get a baking tray ready and grease with a little oil if needed.
- Start by slicing your olives, pepper and mushrooms into thin strips.
- Take out one pitta bread and put it on a plate or board.
- Put a spoonful of your tomato sauce into the middle of the pitta bread (not too much to start with) and use the back of a spoon to spread it out. Add extra sauce if you need to.
- Sprinkle over your grated cheese.
- Next decorate your pizza with your vegetables. You could make a smiley face or whatever pattern you like.
- Finally sprinkle over a little dried oregano.
- Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes – keep checking it because the pitta breads burn quite easily.
- Remove from the grill, allow to cool and enjoy!