We recently made this pumpkin and vegetable stew in our community kitchen to send out to families. As the seasons are changing it’s great to have a warming, vegetable-packed meal to look forward to.
You can use either pumpkin or butternut squash in this meal.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano or mixed dried herbs
400g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small pieces.
1 aubergine, chopped
2 peppers, any colour, chopped
400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
Cold water, if needed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the chopped onion, stir and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes until the onion is soft. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid and add your 2 cloves of chopped garlic. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1 tsp dried herbs. Stir.
- Add your chopped pumpkin, stir well and replace the lid. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring often until your pumpkin is soft.
- If it starts to stick to your pan you can add a little water.
- When the pumpkin is just soft add your chopped aubergine and peppers, stir well, cover with a lid and continue to cook until your vegetables are soft. Add a little water if you need to stop it from sticking to the pan.
- When the vegetables are soft add your chickpeas and tin of tomatoes. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Season to taste with black pepper.
- Serve with rice, couscous or bulgur wheat and a salad.