Michelle made this delicious, spicy vegetable soup for us at our Lunch, Grow and Play session at the Max Roach Centre this week. This vegetable soup contains some vegetables that are often found in Jamaican cuisine such as cho cho and hot peppers. However, it is a very adaptable recipe and you can use whatever vegetables you have available following this method.
- 2 litres hot vegetable stock
- 1 chunk pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 chocho, chopped
- Handful of okra, sliced
- Handful of baby corn
- Small white cabbage, shredded
- 2 white onions, whole
- 3 scallions (spring onions), whole
- 1-2 hot peppers eg habanero, whole
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and left whole
- 3-4 pimento seeds/whole black peppercorns
Bring the vegetable stock to the boil in a large pan.
- Add the chopped pumpkin and cook until starting to soften.
- Carefully add the rest of the vegetables and let the soup bubble away for 1-1.5 hours until soft.
- Remove the whole onions, scallions, hot peppers and pimento seeds if desired and discard.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.