This delicious vegetarian sausage stew from our food worker Mala is a great winter warmer. It’s sure to fill up hungry tums on cold winter evenings.
- 1 pack of Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages
- 15ml oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and cut lengthways
- 5 tsp mixed herbs or a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped, or 2 tins of tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grill the sausages until slightly brown and remove from the grill. Slice into little pieces if preferred and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pot, add onions and fry until soft.
- Add the cumin powder, crushed garlic and green chilli. Stir well and fry for one minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the herbs. Cover the pot with a lid and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and then add the sausages.
- Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for 8-10 minutes. If the mixture dries out add a little water.
- Serve with couscous, rice, read, pasta or with a simple salad on the side.