“Simply Sumptuous – roasted vegetables for Christmas dinner or a classic Sunday Roast.”
1.5 kg potatoes
1 kg carrots, (or use small regular carrots cut in half lengthways)
2 kg parsnips
3 Fennel bulbs
1 butternut or pumpkin
Few cloves of garlic
½ a bunch of fresh rosemary
½ a bunch of fresh thyme
Dash of olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7.
2. Wash and cut the potatoes in halves. Scrub the butternut/pumpkin, parsnips and carrots clean, then slice in half lengthways.
3. Cut the fennel bulbs in 4 quarter pieces.
4. Scatter the vegetables into a roasting tray and add a pinch of salt and pepper and the peeled garlic gloves, then sprinkle the rosemary and thyme sprigs, splash a dash of oil.
5. Finely grate the orange zest and massage all ingredients together gently.
6. Then roast for 45 minutes, tossing occasionally or until golden then serve.
This dish can be served as a main or as an accompaniment. Use any surplus vegetables that you have lying around the kitchen or in your fridge.