This baked sweet potato served with Greek beans in tomato sauce makes a nutritious and filling lunch or dinner. It’s packed full of nutrients and healthy protein in the form of butterbeans and is easy to make. This dish is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin of butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Small handful of fresh dill and/or mint, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 7. Lightly prick the sweet potatoes with a fork two or three times and carefully place directly on the oven shelf.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for 40 minutes, turning halfway, or until cooked through. This will depend on the size of your potatoes.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Fry the onion until soft (5-10 minutes). Stir often.
- Add the garlic. Cook for a further one minute then add the tomatoes, butterbeans, oregano and dill or mint.
- Stir well then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When cooked slice the sweet potatoes in half and spoon the beans on top.
- Serve with grated cheese and a side salad if required.