This soup is a cheap and nutritious meal to make for the whole family. Mandy made this soup at a healthy snacks for kids workshop at the Loughborough Farm Cafe. It proved very popular with children asking for a second bowl.
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200g dried red lentils
- 1 litre of hot vegetable stock or hot water
- Salt and pepper, optional
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped, optional
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and carrot to the pan.
- Stir well and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Stir often.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the ground cumin, stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, the lentils and the vegetable stock.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Stir every few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- Sprinkle over chopped parsley before serving (optional).