Vegetable chilli has been one of our favourite dishes to cook in our healthy living kitchen, because we can adapt it to the veg we have available, which is useful when we are cooking with surplus, and we can’t often predict what we will get. This one was made with root veg and served with beetroot salsa and broccoli slaw.
1.Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
2. Place your prepared mixed root vegetables in a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, stirring halfway, until cooked through.
4. Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan. Fry the chopped onion on a medium heat for around 10 minutes until soft.
5. Add the chopped garlic and cook for a further minute then add the peppers.
6. Stir well. Reduce the heat to low and cover your saucepan with a lid. Cook for a further ten minutes until the peppers are soft, stirring occasionally.
7. Once the peppers are cooked add 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1 tsp dried oregano. You can also add up to 1 tsp chilli powder if liked. Stir well and cook for 1 more minute.
8. Add 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and stir again.
9. Add the rinsed beans and your cooked root vegetables from the oven once done. Stir everything together well and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
10. Sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves if liked. Serve hot with rice, wraps or sweet potato wedges.