We had a great time cooking along with food ambassador and chef Malika today at our winter celebration. She showed us how to make this beautiful apple tart, using just 2 ingredients. The tart was still delicious and sweet despite using no added sugar. We think it will be sure to impress your guests. You can also try experimenting with different fruit such as pears or plums, or follow a similar method for a savoury tart (Tarte provencale) using roasted vegetables and/or a tomato sauce base.
Watch out for the video on our you-tube channel shortly!
5 sweet apples
1 sheet of puff pastry (approximately 200g) cut into a circle or kept as a rectangle
Lemon juice (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c
2. Place the puffed pastry rectangle or circle onto a baking pan that’s been sprayed with nonstick spray or lined with parchment paper and bake it for 10 minutes. Cool slightly while you prepare the apples. (Don’t worry if it has puffed up a lot, it will go down).
3. Peel 3 apples and cut them in half through the stem. Remove the stems and cores with a sharp knife and cut into small pieces. Place in a saucepan with the 2 tablespoons of water and cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat until the apples are soft. Mash the apple using a potato masher. Set aside some of the juice as you will need this later.
4. Carefully very slice the other apples (without peeling) into very thin half-moons. Squeeze a little bit of lemon juice over the sliced apples to prevent browning.
5. Now it is time to build your tart. Your pastry should have collapsed a bit, but if it hasn’t gently press it down with your hands – don’t worry if it flakes a bit. Spread the mashed apple mixture over the whole of the tart. Then with your apple slices, starting at the outer edge, arrange them in circles, overlapping each slice about halfway over its neighbour.
6. Use a pastry brush to gently brush the tart with the juice of the mashed apple and bake for 15 minutes or until the apples begin to brown just slightly on the edges and the crust is a deep golden brown.
7. Voila! Serve warm or room temperature. ENJOY!
apples (or 6 smaller ones)