This vegetarian bolognese is packed full of delicious vegetables and healthy protein in the form of lentils. It can easily be adapted to use whatever vegetables you have available. You can blend the sauce before adding the lentils if you prefer so that it is a hidden vegetable sauce.
- 250 g cooked green or brown lentils (1 tin or approx 100g dried lentils)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 peppers, chopped into small pieces
- 2 courgettes, chopped into small pieces
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes or passata
- 1 tsp dried herbs eg oregano, thyme or mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spaghetti, bread, cheese and/or salad to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry for about 10 minutes until soft. Stir often.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the carrots, peppers and courgettes. Add a little bit of water and cook until soft (10-15 minutes). Stir often.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a further five minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti with grated cheese on top, bread and salad on the side.