Sadie is one of our regular cooks at our Max Roach sessions. A few weeks ago she made a delicious risotto with cavolo nero for lunch. Sadie also made a juice from lemons and kiwi to serve alongside her cavolo nero risotto. Delicious! We have added peas to Sadie’s risotto recipe. We are cooking along with Veg Power, a national campaign to encourage children to eat more vegetables. Peas is vegetable of the week next week and we hope that this delicious risotto will encourage you to eat some peas.
- 100g risotto rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500-600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- Handful of frozen peas
- 1 tbsp butter
- Handful of cavolo nero
- First prepare the cavolo nero. Rip from the stems and wash well.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the cavolo nero. Stir then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Steam for about 5 minutes until soft. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry over a medium heat until soft. This will take 5-10 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the rice and stir well.
- Pour in a little bit of the vegetable stock and stir until it has been absorbed. Pour in a little more, stir and repeat until the rice is cooked. This will take about 20 minutes. You might not need all the stock.
- Add the peas just before it is cooked and stir well.
- Reheat the cavolo nero and serve on top of the risotto.