Lots of our meal recipients asked for the recipe for this colourful salad that chef Ruth made to go with dhal and rice in our ‘Healthy Living Kitchen’ last week. Not only is it colourful but it is packed with loads of flavour – a great accompaniment to any meal, or add some noodles to make it a meal in itself. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the veg and seasonings listed below, you can switch things with what you have or leave it out.
1 medium beetroot
Quarter of a small red or white cabbage
100 grams of celeriac
1 lime or lemon
1 teaspoon of mustard
Half a teaspoon of cumin seeds
Half a teaspoon of fennel seeds
2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
1. Lightly toast all your seeds (pumpkin, fennel and cumin) in a small dry frying pan on a medium to low heat – for about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside
2. Finely chop or grate all your veg and add this to a large mixing bowl.
3. Peel your satsumas, separate into segments and add these to the bowl.
4. Zest half the lemon or lime using the small teeth of a grater. Add this to a small bowl to make your dress. Juice the lemon or lime and add this to the same bowl. Stir through the olive oil and grated ginger.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
6. Stir through your toasted seeds.