Julie made this okra, mushroom and olive pasta dish at our food ambassador training in March. It was a huge hit with all the parents. We hope you give it a try! Okra is originally from Africa but now appears in Indian and Caribbean cooking as well as others. If you can’t find it in the supermarket try looking in local shops and markets. You can also sometimes find okra in the freezer section.
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 200g okra
- 1 jar black olives, rinsed and sliced into three pieces
- 1 tbsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- To prepare the okra, top and tail the ends (being sure not to waste too much!), and then slice it.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan on a high heat. Turn the heat to medium and add the tomato puree, onion and garlic and fry for five minutes.
- Add the okra, followed by the mushrooms and all purpose seasoning five minutes later, and cook until the okra goes soft and gooey (about 15 minutes), stirring regularly.
- Stir through the black olives.
- Serve with pasta and grated cheese.