A delicious, cheap and simple recipe for potato and carrot kofta. This recipe is a great one to make at home with your children.
Children can help to:
- measure out ingredients
- shape kofta into balls
See a video of Mandy making these kofta on our YouTube channel.
2 carrots, peeled and cut into half moons
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp chickpea flour (gram flour)
1 tsp ground cumin (or ras el hanout spice mix) (optional)
Flat leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with non stick baking paper.
- First prepare your potatoes and carrots. Boil or steam them until soft and then mash well.
- Peel and chop your onions and garlic. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and fry for 10-15 minutes until soft and turning golden brown.
- Add the onion mixture to the mashed potato and carrot along with 2 tbsp chickpea flour and 1 tsp ground cumin (optional) and some chopped parsley (optional) and a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper. Stir well.
- With clean hands roll into 8-10 balls and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes then carefully turn over to bake the other side. Return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes until turning crispy and brown.
- Serve warm with wraps, grains, pitta breads, salad, hummus or tahini sauce.