Our mini chefs families made these delicious healthy sweet potato brownies. Take a look at our YouTube channel to see chef Mandy and assistant Rosa making them.
700 g sweet potato, cooked and puréed or well mashed
100 g date paste*
130g ground oats
3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Adults – preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Grease a 20cm square baking tin or similar and line with baking paper.
- If your date paste is very thick add a few drops of hot water and mix with a fork to make it easier to mix in.
- Put 130g ground oats and 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder into a mixing bowl. Stir together. Use your finger tips to break up any lumps of cocoa powder.
- Add the mashed sweet potato and mix well.
- Finally add the date paste and mix again. Adults – you may need to help your child mix the date paste in to ensure that it’s well mixed.
- Transfer to your prepared baking tin and level the surface with a spatula or the back of a wooden spoon. Make sure the mixture goes into all the corners of your tin.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until you can insert a skewer or knife in the centre and it comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 15 minutes (this helps it to stick together) then remove and cut into squares. Cool completely on a wire rack then store in an airtight container for a few days.
*To make date paste chop your dates up and soak them in hot water (if using medjool dates no need to soak) for 20 minutes. Drain and then pulse in a food processor or with a pestle and mortar until broken down. Add a few drops of hot water if needed to help it form a paste.
This recipe is adapted from Mandy’s recipe on Sneaky Veg.