Mandy is one of our cooks at Southwyck Community Kitchen. She made this vegetable and coconut traybake for one of our hot meals deliveries during the COVID-19 crisis.
It is really delicious served with baked plantain and rice.
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
thumb-sized chunk of ginger, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 medium potatoes, chopped
1 tbsp jerk seasoning (dried not liquid)
1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
400 g tin of coconut milk
400 g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
small handful fresh coriander roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan)/220°C/gas mark 7. You will need a large roasting tin for this recipe. If you have a non-stick one use that.
- Peel and chop an onion and put in your roasting tin. Add two cloves of chopped garlic and a thumb-sized piece of chopped ginger.
- Next add your chopped red pepper, sweet potato and potatoes to the tin.
- Sprinkle over 1 tbsp jerk seasoning and 1 tbsp sunflower oil. Mix well with a spoon ensuring that everything is well coated.
- Roast for 45 minutes. You will need to stir the vegetables every ten minutes or so or the potatoes will stick to the tin.
- As soon as your vegetables are cooked add your coconut milk and chickpeas. Stir well so everything is coated in coconut milk.
- Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes to warm through.
- Serve with fresh coriander, rice and baked plantain or a salad.
Adapted from this recipe.