Did you know you can make muffins without added sugar?
These healthy low sugar banana muffins are perfect for little ones as they’re sweetened with just ripe bananas. If you like you can add some raisins too – but that’s optional.
These muffins are a mini chefs favourite.
2 large (or 3 medium) ripe bananas, mashed
250 grams wholemeal plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
100 millilitres milk
100 millilitres sunflower oil
100 grams raisins, optional
- Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin or cupcake cases.
- Mash your ripe bananas with a fork until very smooth. Set aside.
- Place 250 grams wholemeal flour into a mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and mix well.
- Mix 100 millilitres of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir to mix.
- Add to the flour mixture and stir. Add 100 millilitres of sunflower oil and stir again.
- Next add the mashed banana and stir that in.
- If using add 100 grams of raisins and stir them in.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases. Press in any raisins to stop them from burning and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until turning golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack for cooling.