Kadecia was inspired to make these sweet potato brownies using ingredients in an Incredible Edible LEAP food bag which she receives from us at St Stephen’s in Stockwell every Wednesday.
- 500g sweet potatoes (1 large one will do), peeled and chopped
- 200g pitted dates
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp smooth nut butter (I used peanut but cashew or almond will work)
- 180ml milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- Pinch of salt
- 200g ground almonds * (ground hazelnuts or walnuts work too)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Soak dates in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil sweet potatoes until tender.
- Drain the dates and cooked potatoes and add to food processor.
- Add in the milk, salt, nut butter and cocoa powder.
- Blend it until it is completely smooth.
- Add ground almonds and baking powder and blend again.
- Put mixture into a baking tin that has been lined and greased.
- Bake for roughly 25 mins or until the top has darkened (a few cracks are okay).
- Leave to cool for a while before cutting it.