A team of some of our Food Ambassadors had great fun in our Healthy Living Kitchen, testing out and creating this dish for our special Christmas recipe kit. We served this as a Christmas meal at one of the warm hubs with roast potatoes, homemade onion gravy, braised red cabbage and greens. In this recipe, we have given you the option to serve it with a simple tomato sauce to serve alongside your favourite roast veg.
1 red or white onion, chopped
1 large sweet potato
1 tin of green or brown lentils
150g pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Few sprigs of thyme
100 grams of dried raisins
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons of cornflour (or other flour or tapioca)
150g of mushrooms, finely chopped
Tomato sauce ingredients: 1 tablespoon of olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (160 Fan)
2. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
3. Peel and chop the sweet potato . Cover with water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer until soft. Drain, mash and set aside in a large bowl.
4. Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan, set aside to cool. Roughly chop them by hand or in a food processor.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Fry on a low heat for 5 mins, stirring often. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for a further 5 mins.
6. Add the crushed garlic, chopped rosemary and strip in the thyme leaves, stir for 1-2 minutes.
7. Drain the lentils and add to the mashed sweet potato. Add the toasted seeds, raisins, cornflour and the onion mixture. Season with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper and stir until well combined.
9. Spoon into the prepared loaf tin and press down until smooth.
10. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until crispy on top (the inside will still be a bit soft but a knife should come out clean).
11. Whilst your loaf is in the oven make your sauce:
12 Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pan, add the chopped garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring.
13. Add the tinned tomatoes, increase the heat and once boiling simmer for 30 minutes.
14. When the loaf is done leave to rest in the tin for five minutes, then run a knife around the edges and turn out onto a board or plate. Serve with the tomato sauce (or gravy) and veg