If you’re heading out on a picnic soon or looking for healthy snacks or lunchbox fillers then give these delicious butternut squash savoury muffins a try.
See a video of this recipe on our YouTube channel:
225g wholemeal, spelt or plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp dried herbs eg oregano
90g sunflower oil
175g plain yoghurt (dairy free if needed)
100g butternut squash or sweet potato purée
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional) or one handful grated cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Place 225g flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda and 1 tsp dried herbs into a mixing bowl and stir together. If using the nutritional yeast add this now too.
- Measure out 175g plain yoghurt into a jug and add 90g sunflower oil and 100g butternut squash purée. Mix well with a whisk or fork.
- Pour the yoghurt mixture into the flour mixture and mix well. If using grated cheese add this now and stir in.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until risen and golden brown on top.
- The muffins should spring back slightly when pressed with a finger.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack if you have one.
See a video of this recipe on our YouTube channel