This broccoli noodle stir fry is a nutritious, easy and delicious dinner that the whole family can enjoy. Use the broccoli stalks for more value for money. Broccoli is a delicious vegetable to use in a stir fry. Did you know that you can eat broccoli stalks too? Simply slice them up thinly and stir fry them with the other vegetables. This gives you more value for money and helps to avoid food waste. You can use any kind of noodles to make this broccoli noodle stir fry. We have used wholewheat noodles but egg noodles or rice noodles also work well. We are cooking along with Veg Power over the next few weeks, a national campaign to encourage children to eat more vegetables. Broccoli is vegetable of the week this week and we hope that this easy, healthy broccoli stir fry will encourage you to try it.
- 1 tsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped – optional
- 1 head of broccoli, stalks chopped and head broken into florets
- 150g noodles
- 200g tofu, chopped – optional
- 1 tbsp low salt soy sauce
- Water, if needed
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain, rinse in cold water to avoid sticking and set aside.
- Heat up the oil in a medium wok or frying pan.
- Add the onion and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft. Stir often.
- Now add the garlic, ginger and chilli (if using) and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli stalks. Stir well and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Next put the chopped broccoli into the pan and cook for 10 minutes or until soft. If it starts to stick add a dash of water.
- When the broccoli is cooked add the tofu (if using), the soy sauce and the noodles. Stir fry to warm through, mixing the vegetables into the noodles.
- Serve immediately.