Ratatouille is a traditional French dish from the Provence region. It is made of stewed vegetables. Our version is made from courgettes and peppers and we’ve added chickpeas for some healthy vegetarian protein.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 courgette, chopped
1 pepper, chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Place your chopped courgette and pepper in a small roasting tin. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and stir well. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway, until soft.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan. Add 1 chopped onion and fry on a low heat for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add 2 cloves chopped garlic, stir and fry for one more minute.
- Add 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tbsp chopped thyme and 1 tbsp tomato purée. Stir well and then add your chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until your roasted vegetables are cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the courgettes and peppers from the oven. Courgettes can release a lot of water when cooked so carefully spoon out the courgettes and peppers and add them to your sauce, leaving any water behind.
- Add your chickpeas to the ratatouille as well and heat for 5 minutes to warm through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.