Soup is a great way to get some extra veggies into your diet.
This recipe for potato and carrot soup is a cheap and healthy winter warmer. It can be easily adapted to use whatever spices or vegetables you have to hand and for your personal taste.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 potatoes, chopped
800ml vegetable stock or hot water
Optional additions if you have them: 1 tsp dried mixed herbs or oregano, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, sprinkling of black pepper, chilli powder to taste, a tin of beans or chickpeas.
- Heat your olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and the carrot, stir well and reduce the heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for one minute.
- If you are using any of the optional spices and herbs add them now. Stir well.
- Add the potatoes, stir and pour over the vegetable stock or hot water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- You can eat this soup chunky if you prefer or if you don’t have a blender. If you prefer a smooth soup allow to cool a little and then blend with a stick blender or a jug blender until smooth. Add extra hot water if needed until you have the consistency you like.
- Reheat and season to taste with a little black pepper.
- A tin of beans or chickpeas is also a good addition to this soup. Add this after blending and reheat.