Our ‘Healthy Living Kitchen’ based on the Southwyck estate in Brixton was set up in response to the COVID-19 crisis, as a way of increasing access to healthy good food. We have been providing free delicious healthy vegetarian meals to local families with new babies, people who live locally and need help with accessing healthy food and young people who normally receive free meals. As we move forward we are seeking to expand by supplying affordable healthy meals to local businesses.
We are looking for Assistant Chefs to join our team on a freelance basis, to assist in the planning and preparation of delicious, healthy, well-balanced vegetarian meals, using mostly surplus vegetables.
- Alongside the Lead Chef, planning and preparing a variety of delicious, hearty and nutritious meals;
- Providing meals in line with HLP Food Policy – using surplus vegetables, avoiding food waste, ensuring they are well balanced, not using added sugar, reduced salt, and use of healthy cooking methods;
- Ensuring that the storage, preparation and cooking of all food is carried out using the highest standards of hygiene;
- Cleaning to a high level and in line with COVID safety guidance, including social distancing and excellent personal hygiene;
- To assist with storing and monitoring of data in line with HLP confidentiality procedures.
- Self-motivated and hard working
- Reliable and flexible
- High level of organisational skills
- Ability to take initiative and think creatively using (sometimes limited) resources available
- A good communicator and team player and ability to work with a range of people
- Be familiar with relevant health and safety guidance and procedures, particularly in relation to COVID-19
- A confident cook, with experience of cooking in a community or professional kitchen
- A fast worker and ability and willingness to work in a busy kitchen, providing between 80 and 120 meals a day
- Enthusiasm for healthy vegetarian food
- Preferably hold a Food Safety Level 2 Certificate or willingness to obtain prior to starting
Fee: £12.50 per hour
Hours: 4 to 8 hours per week, to be agreed
Please email your CV with a covering letter to: email@example.com stating why you are interested in this role and how you meet the criteria. Please also state what times/days you are available to work (Monday to Fridays).
We have an open and diverse recruitment policy.
If you have any adaptations that need to be made to assist you with the application or recruitment process, please let us know.
Deadline for applications Monday 10th August, 5pm